CBD Dogs Treats: You might wonder if CBD suits your furry friend if you’re a dog owner. If so, you’ve come to the right place, as we have all the answers you need here. We’ll go over everything from how it works and what it does to where to get quality CBD dog treats.
CBD is a compound found in cannabis. It’s one of over 100 compounds in the cannabis plant, and it doesn’t cause a high. CBD also contains no THC, so pet owners can use it without worrying about getting their dog or cat stoned.
CBD is used for many conditions, including:
- Pain relief
- Anxiety reduction
- Sleep disorders
- You may be wondering if the CBD-infused dog treats you’ve purchased are legal to use. The answer is yes! CBD is entirely legal in all 50 states. You don’t need a prescription or register with any government agency. In other words, if it’s sold as a food product, no regulations apply to it.*
- This does not include hemp-derived CBD oil products that contain THC (the substance in cannabis that gets you high). These fall under federal law and require registration with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and other agencies before selling.*
The laws surrounding CBD are still quite murky. However, likely, the FDA will soon issue regulations regarding its use in food products. We will continue using CBD-infused dog treats with our furry friends.
Can you get CBD for your dog from your veterinarian? It depends.
- Some veterinarians will recommend it, while others will not.
- Some veterinarians may be willing to prescribe it, but only if it’s legal in their state/location. Others will push for more research before making a recommendation or prescription.
- If your vet does recommend it and there is no law against using CBD with your pet, then you can buy CBD dog treats at the store or online (see our article on how to buy CBD).
If your vet does not recommend it and there is no law against using CBD with your pet, you can buy CBD dog treats at the store or online (see our article on how to buy CBD).
There are various reasons why CBD for dogs is an excellent idea. The natural remedies are safe and effective and can help your dog live better. Some people might be hesitant to try CBD because they’ve heard it doesn’t work or isn’t as effective as other treatments. However, there are many benefits to using CBD for dogs:
- It helps relieve pain and inflammation (especially arthritis)
- It helps reduce anxiety and stress
- It improves sleep quality in older dogs
- It can help improve your dog’s overall health by improving digestion and strengthening the immune system.
CBD can help to support your dog’s health and well-being in a variety of ways, including:
- Pain relief. CBD is effective in treating pain and has even been used to treat epilepsy, cancer, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and other neurological disorders.
- Reduced inflammation. Some studies have found that CBD can reduce inflammation by inhibiting the production of cytokines (molecules that regulate immune responses), which is good news for dogs with arthritis or joint pain—and their owners!
- Better sleep. Studies have shown that CBD can reduce anxiety-related behaviors in dogs, making them feel more relaxed at night and thus less likely to wake you up at 3 AM with incessant barking like they do every night because they’re terrified by their own shadow (or something). This makes sense when you think about it: Our brains produce cannabinoids just before we fall asleep; so, too, do our dogs’ brains! If you’ve ever seen one of those videos where someone puts a camera on their dog’s face while he sleeps—you know what I’m talking about here: They look like zombies from an old black-and-white movie set during World War II! That’s why giving them extra rest time during the day, if needed, is essential.
- Improved mood & reduced anxiety levels due to increased endocannabinoid activity within the central nervous system.
- Relief from stressors such as loud noises from fireworks or thunderstorms due to those same endocannabinoids mentioned above helping regulate anxiety levels through increasing dopamine release into brain regions linked closely with emotion regulation.
- Choose a reputable company to purchase your treats from.
- Look for a balanced ratio of CBD to THC. The recommended ratio is 1:1, which means each treat contains the same amount of THC as CBD.
- Be sure to check the batch number and expiration date on the package before purchasing it.
- Look at the ingredients list on each package before buying—you want to make sure there are no allergens or artificial ingredients that could harm your dog. Also, look for items like preservatives and artificial flavors or colors, which can be toxic for dogs and may cause an allergic reaction in some cases. If you have questions about an ingredient listed on a product label (or if you’re unsure about something listed), ask an expert like yourself! You’ll be able to find lots more information online with just a few clicks using phrases like “natural dog treats” or “organic pet food” as search terms.
CBD dog treats are a natural alternative to other medications. The CBD in these treats is extracted from hemp, a safe and legal source of cannabidiol. Cannabidiol is non-psychoactive and has many health benefits for humans and animals alike.
CBD can help dogs with pain management by interacting with receptors in the endocannabinoid system of humans and animals. This interaction increases serotonin, dopamine, and anandamide (a neurotransmitter that helps reduce anxiety). It also decreases inflammation by inhibiting inflammatory pathways within the body’s systems.
It’s safe, and it can help your dog. If you have questions about the legality of CBD for dogs or if this might be something that would work for your dog, please consult with your vet first.